This is a new service - yourfeedback (opens in a new tab)will help us improve it.

Transfer In from another Red Ensign Ship Register to Part 1 of the UK Ship Register

If a vessel is currently registered with another Red Ensign Group ship register there is the option of transferring the registration to a UK port and the UK Ship Register (UKSR). A vessel must transfer in like for like, for example a commercial vessel must transfer to the UK as a commercial vessel and only Part 1 vessels can be transferred.

Completing a transfer into the UKSR will mean the Official Number of the vessel is unchanged, the history of the vessel's registration is continuous, and there is no need to have a new Certificate of Survey for Tonnage and Measurement issued.

Copies of title documents will remain with the transferring out ship registry and registered mortgages cannot be transferred from one ship registry to another.

The transfer to the UK Ship Register is a two-stage process:

  1. A vessel owner will need to contact the ship registry the vessel is currently registered with to initiate the transfer; the ship registry being transferred from may have requirements or fees that the UK Ship Register does not know about.
  2. The vessel owner will then need to provide the following documents to the UK Ship Register. Please note that you will need to print off and sign any documents, as we cannot accept digital signatures: 

Further confirmation of the transfer will be provided to the UK Ship Register from the other ship register.

Once the transfer to the UK Ship Register is confirmed, we will issue a Carving and Marking note to show the UK Port of Registry. For pleasure vessels, the Carving and Marking note will need to be completed by the owner of the vessel or a recognised surveyor. For pleasure vessels greater than 24 metres in length or merchant vessels, a UK Certifying Authority will need to sign, date and stamp the document.

You can email documents to the Registry team at

You can also call us on +44 (0)20 3908 5200.