This is a new service - yourfeedback (opens in a new tab)will help us improve it.

Bareboat Charter-In Registration (Part 4)

To register a merchant vessel, you will first need to complete a form: Information Required for UK Merchant Ship Registration (MSF 5547). This will provide us with the necessary information to check if the ship and the owner are eligible for UK registration.  

If you want to apply to bareboat charter your vessel, you can use the UK Ship Register online service.

You will need to provide supporting documents and pay the appropriate fee. The Application to Register and Declaration of Eligibility forms are not required if you use the online service to apply.

Documents needed for bareboat charter (Part 4) registration

Please note, you will need to print off and sign any documents, as we cannot accept digital signatures.  

  • Application to Register MSF 4738
  • Declaration of Eligibility MSF 4735
  • Bareboat Charter Party Agreement  
  • Copy of Certificate of Registration or Transcript from Primary Registry
  • Consent letter from Primary Registry
  • Copy of Certificate of Incorporation (if the charterer is a body corporate)
  • UK Certificate of Survey for Tonnage & Measurement issued within the last twelve (12) months
  • International Tonnage Certificate (ITC69) (for vessels over 24 metres)
  • British Tonnage Certificate and Survey (for vessels less than 24 metres)
  • A copy of the valid Code Certificate or appropriate safety certificate (for vessels less than 24 metres)
  • Copy of the Ship’s Radio licence with call sign, applications are made with Ofcom
  • Copy of the ship’s current Continuous Synopsis Record (CSR)
  • Completed CSR amendment form 2 (for vessels more than 500 gross tonnage)
  • Civil Liability Certification (CLC): when you receive the P&I “Blue Cards”, you can apply for the Certificates on via the UK Ship Register online service
  • Safe Manning Document
  • Online payment of £153 registration fee via GOV.UK secure payment link

Once the documentation is received, a Carving and Marking Note will be issued, which will need to be witnessed by a UK Authorised Organisation. When completed it will need to be returned to and the Certificate of Registry can then be issued.

Please note that any documents used to support your application for Merchant Vessel (Part 4) Registration, if not in English, must be accompanied by a notarised translation.

  • Where to send your documents

  • These documents can be sent to us by email at

    We can also be contacted on +44 (0)20 3908 5200