This is a new service - yourfeedback (opens in a new tab)will help us improve it.

Upgrading a Provisionally Registered Merchant Vessel to Full Registration (Part 1)

If your merchant vessel is provisionally registered with a valid Certificate of Provisional Registration and you wish to register the vessel on to Part 1 of the UK Ship Register.

If you have previously completed your provisional registration using the online service and created an online account, you can log in to close the provisional registration and begin a new registration using the UK Ship Register online service.

To do so, you will be required to provide supporting documents and pay the appropriate fee.

Documents required for full merchant vessel registration from a provisional registration

Please note that you will need to print off and sign any documents, as we cannot accept digital signatures.  

  • Copy of Certificate of Incorporation (if the owner is a body corporate)
  • Bill of Sale from current registered owner to the new owner MSF 4705
  • UK Certificate of Survey for Tonnage & Measurement issued within the last 12 months.
  • International Tonnage Certificate (ITC69) - (for vessels over 24 metres)
  • British Tonnage Certificate and Survey (for vessels less than 24 metres)
  • A copy of the valid Code Certificate or appropriate safety Certificate (for vessels less than 24 metres)
  • Deletion certificate/transcript from the current register or a written undertaking to provide one within six weeks
  • Copy of the Ships Radio licence with call sign, applications are made with Ofcom
  • Civil Liability Certification (CLC), when you receive the P&I “Blue Cards”. Apply for CLC certificates through the UK Ship Register online service
  • Safe Manning Document
  • Copy of the ship’s current Continuous Synopsis Record (CSR) and completed CSR amendment form 2 (for vessels over 500 gross tonnage)
  • Builder’s Certificate (for new builds) MSF 4743
  • Online payment of £75 registration fee via GOV.UK secure payment link (for five year period)

Once documentation is received, a Carving and Marking Note will be issued which will need to be witnessed by a UK authorised organisation. When completed it will need to be returned via email to and the Certificate of Registry can then be issued.

Please note that any documents used to support your application for Merchant Vessel (Part 1) Registration, if not in English, must be accompanied by a notarised translation.

  • Where to send your documents

  • You can email these documents to us at

    Call us on +44 (0)20 3908 5200 if you need any more information.