This is a new service - yourfeedback (opens in a new tab)will help us improve it.

Change of Name, Port or Port Letters Number (PLN)

Change the name, registered port or Port Letters Numbers (PLN) of a registered fishing vessel.

Change details online

If you have completed your vessel registration using the online service or claimed your vessel and created an online account, you can log in to change your vessel’s details using the UK Ship Register online service.

If you have not already claimed your vessel, you will need to create an account with the UK Ship Register's online service.

To change your vessel’s name, port of registration or Port Letter Numbers (PLN), log into your account and amend the details you wish to change. Payment of registration fees can be made as part of the online process.

For a full list of fees, see the Maritime and Coastguard Agency's fees guidance on GOV.UK.

Once the application has been approved, a Carving and Marking note will be issued which will confirm the correct markings for the vessel. The Carving and Marking note will need to be completed by either a Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) surveyor or a fisheries officer in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Please contact your local MCA Marine Office to arrange for an MCA surveyor to visit your vessel and sign, date and stamp the document. Your Fishing Vessel Certificate will need to be updated to reflect the changes; an MCA Marine Office can advise you on this.

Change details without using the online service

For changes of vessel name, registered port or Port Letters Numbers (PLN) not using the online UK Ship Register service, please complete:

  • Where to send your documents

  • Email your documents to us at

    Post your documents to us at:

    UK Ship Register 
    Maritime and Coastguard Agency
    Anchor Court
    Keen Road 
    CF24 5JW

    Phone us on +44 (0)20 3908 5200 for more information.