Re-Registration of a Fishing Vessel

If the current owner or new owner to re-register a vessel that has previously been UK registered, then the following documents will need to be submitted as part of the application process:

Application to register 

Registration fee

Declaration of eligibility 

Bill of Sale (if ownership has since changed from previous registration) 

UK Certificate of Survey for tonnage and measurement (required if the vessel has been de-registered from the UK register for over 12 months)– issued by a class/certifying authority (if applicable) 

Certificate of incorporation (if applicable)

UK FVC – Over 15m vessels. The issue of a UKFVC is the culmination of a satisfactory survey of a fishing vessel and the presentation of documentation by the Fishing Vessel Surveyor. The documentation to be presented will be dependent upon the vessel.

The type of surveys are regulated by two main factors:

Category A Survey - all the survey is carried out by the MCA or a Delegated Body with the exception of the radio survey which is carried out by GEC Marconi.

Category B Survey - hull and machinery survey FV (SP) Rules 1975, Rules 2-14 and 17-54, is carried out by a Lloyd's Classification Society Surveyor(s), appointed Classification Society Surveyor(s), Sea Fish Industry Surveyor, or other suitable person. The MCA is responsible for the remainder of the survey required by the FV (SP) Rules 1975. Radio survey carried out by GEC Marconi.

MSF1606 inspection – under 15m vessel. The certificate must be in the name of the new owner to issue the certificate of registry. For owners in Scotland and Northern Ireland, the certificate of registry can be issued without the MSF1606 inspection report in the new owner’s name, but that inspection report must be provided to the UK Ship Register within three months of the issue of the certificate of registry.

The vessel’s official number from its previous UK registration will remain the same when re-registered with the UK. With all re-registrations, regardless of length of time off the register or if any of the markings have changed, a carving and marking note will be issued and will need to be completed by a recognised surveyor 

Once the UK Ship Register has received the completed note, the vessel will be re-registered and a certificate of registry issued.

Please note: a vessel must not be registered on more than one register at a time.

Seafish Inspection Report – if the vessel is under 15m and has been de-registered for over 6 months


A new build of 7m length over all to 15m will require a Hull construction certificate and outfit compliance certificate.

A new build under 7m length over all only a hull construction certificate is required.

A vessel build since April 2001, but not a new build and under 15m length over all will require a declaration of inspection certificate.

A vessel build prior to 2001 that is under 15m length over all will require a Flag in survey report