New Registration

New Registration of a Fishing Vessel

For a first time registration on the UK Ship Register the following documents will need to be submitted:

The simple registration for a fishing vessel not requiring a mortgage to be registered.

Application to register 

Registration fee

Declaration of eligibility 

Bill of Sale/Invoice/Receipt

Certificate of measurement – issued by a class society (provide link to fishing class list), MCA surveyor or MMO Fisheries Officer if the vessel is under 15m.

ITC ’69 (for vessels 24 metres and over) 

Seafish Inspection report - All vessels registering for the first time or for vessels that have been previously registered and whose registration has been closed for over six months must provide a Seafish report prior to registration.

UK FVC –  The issue of a UKFVC is the culmination of a satisfactory survey of a fishing vessel and the presentation of documentation by the Fishing Vessel Surveyor. The documentation to be presented will be dependent upon the vessel.

The type of surveys are regulated by two main factors:

Category A Survey - all the survey is carried out by the MCA or a Delegated Body with the exception of the radio survey which is carried out by GEC Marconi.

Category B Survey - hull and machinery survey FV(SP) Rules 1975, Rules 2-14 and 17-54, is carried out by a Lloyd's Classification Society Surveyor(s), appointed Classification Society Surveyor(s), Sea Fish Industry Surveyor, or other suitable person. The MCA is responsible for the remainder of the survey required by the FV(SP) Rules 1975. Radio survey carried out by GEC Marconi.

MSF1606 inspection – under 15m vessel. The certificate must be in the name of the new owner to issue the certificate of registry. For owners in Scotland and Northern Ireland, the certificate of registry can be issued without the MSF1606 inspection report in the new owner’s name, but that inspection report must be provided to the UK Ship Register within three months of the issue of the certificate of registry.


A new build of 7m length over all to 15m will require a Hull construction certificate and outfit compliance certificate.

A new build under 7m length over all only a hull construction certificate is required.

A vessel build since April 2001, but not a new build and under 15m length over all will require a declaration of inspection certificate.

A vessel build prior to 2001 that is under 15m length over all will require a Flag in survey report

A new vessel under 15m with a builder on the MCA recognised list will enable the carving and marking note to be issued with only the hull construction. The outfit compliance certificate can be submitted to complete the registration.

Over 15m vessels there is no requirement for a Seafish inspection. In its place the MCA principal surveyor will need to provide written confirmation that the registry can process the registration.

You will need to contact Seafish to have a quote provided.